Cooking and serving Black Beans the Authentic Brazilian way you will need:
2 cups of Authentic Brazilian Black Beans
3 tablespoons of olive or vegetable oil
1 medium size chopped onion
2 bulbs of fresh chopped garlic or 1 teaspoon or garlic pure
2 bay leaves
100g of smoked bacon in chunks
200g of smoked sausage sliced
Salt and red pepper to taste
How to prepare:
- Wash and soak beans in cold water overnight.
- Place the beans in a large sauce pan with enough cold water to just cover.
- Cook beans on a low heat for about 1 hour or until soft and smooth.
- Season beans with salt and red pepper to taste.
- In a separate sauce pan gently fry the onion, garlic and bay leaves until golden.
- Next add the pork or vegetables with half of cup of water and simmer for 10 minutes, then add the cooked beans into the pan.
- Cook on a low heat for another 30 minutes. If you prefer a thicker broth, remove 1 ladle of beans, puree and add back to the mixture.